Thursday, September 1, 2016

Nursing Student Study Tip~HOW THE HECK DO I STUDY HEALTH ASSESSMENT?

How to Study Health Assessment

With Health Assessment it is helpful to study it while practicing the head to toe assessment at the same time. But first, you must recall your A&P. If it has been a while since you took A&P then take a while to remember the structures there function.

For example
Let's start with Inspection: Let's say you are studying how to assess the heart. The first thing you do when assessing any system you begin with inspection so you would speak out loud while you are doing your inspection. Such as, "I don't see cyanosis of the lips, the nails are normal, and there is no pursed lips or nasal flaring. Then you would ask yourself what if I saw these things? What does this mean? Nasal flaring could indicate hypoxia if your patient is having difficulty breathing. Then what intervention would I do? I would assess respirations, pulse oximetry and give O2 by nasal cannula. Do I need to call the physician and in what case would I call the physician and when I call him or her how do I use SBAR?  

Next: The Thorax (Anterior and Posterior) 

Ask yourself questions...

What position does the patient need to be in? What can I physically see? What is normal? What is abnormal? If I see abnormals what is it? What can I do about it? When to call the physician? What can and can not be delegated? What is common in older adults? What are some cultural considerations? When to palpate and how? When to auscultate and how? When to percuss and how? Why are you performing these? What are some special considerations? 

Last: Review the common disease processes related to the system you are studying. It is helpful to come up with mnemonics or songs to help you remember these disease processes. 

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/nursing-assessment/


Note: Your focus should be on the proper way to assess the body and abnormal situations. Asking yourself as many questions as you can gets you in the habit of critically thinking about what you are studying. 


No comments:

Post a Comment